What will your product be exposed to?
Environmental conditions directly affect the performance of adhesive tape; not only throughout its end use, but also during storage and the application process.
Due to the wide range of industries and end products using adhesive components, these can be exposed to varying environmental conditions. This might be outdoors and subject to wind, rain and dirt, or extreme temperature changes such as those aircraft are exposed to.
Products are available that have been designed specifically to accommodate a number of environmental conditions; they can resist UV light, chemicals, high and low temperatures, humidity and shock.
There are a wide range of products available that are suitable for withstanding extremely low and high temperatures. When determining the optimum product, there are some questions to consider:
- What are the temperature ranges the component will be subject to?
- How long will the component be subjected to high or low temperatures?
- When will the component be subjected to these temperatures – during the product’s manufacture, servicing or end usage?
UV light exposure will degrade some adhesive tapes, leading to bond failure over time. The UV light may not be direct e.g. behind glass, but the application would still require a UV resistant tape. We offer a range of UV resistant bonding materials, from a range of suppliers.
Humidity and moisture
Humidity and moisture can lead to reduced adhesion of your tape, especially if it’s applied under wet or very humid conditions. This environment can also damage paper liners, resulting in bubbles appearing on the surface of the tape.
If your product will be exposed to humidity and moisture, consider the following questions:
- What is the duration of exposure to these conditions?
- What is the intensity of these conditions?
- What temperatures will the component be subject to?
In general, acrylic tapes have a good resistance to these conditions, except for water based acrylics, which should not be used.
There are a wide range of tape products that will provide a secure and long-lasting seal against a variety of contaminants. These include:
- Dust, dirt and debris
- Chemicals and other liquids (discussed in more detail below)
- Oil and grease
For sealing against contaminants whilst managing the environment within the product e.g. temperature and pressure, we have a range of venting materials such as hydrophobic and oleophobic membranes. These allow air to pass through, whilst preventing the ingress of contaminants.
We have a number of products with the ability to resist a range of chemicals, including acids, alkalis, oils, solvents and fuel. To determine the product you need, consider the following questions:
- What chemicals/liquids will the product be exposed to?
- Will the product be exposed or submerged?
- How long will the product be in contact with the chemical or liquid?