Why Use Tape?
The benefits you can achieve with tape
Traditional fixings, such as rivets, screws, nuts, bolts, staples, clips and liquid adhesives, are often thought of as the optimum methods of joining two substrates.
Adhesive tapes, films and foams are proven alternatives to these methods; they can match and sometimes exceed them in strength and durability. In addition, they provide unique benefits not found with traditional fastening methods, such as sealing, dampening, shielding and insulating.
Tapes can often make the application possible; view the benefits below or visit our tape vs traditional fixing page to see the advantages of replacing your current fixing method with an adhesive tape.
Better product design
Replacing your fixing methods with tape in your product design opens up a world of opportunities in the ease of combining dissimilar materials, joining irregular-shaped surfaces, light weighting and streamlining your styling. Adhesive tapes provide invisible fastening for a clean surface finish and use less space than traditional fixing methods.
A summary of design benefits are listed below:
- Realise your vision with greater design options, inspiration and flexibility
- Achieve desired product weight/mass/size
- Improved aesthetics
- Solve problems e.g. joining heat sensitive materials and use thinner materials
- Cheaper prototyping
Better product performance
Using a tape in place of traditional fixings will improve the overall quality and performance of your product by providing a trusted and durable bond, even in the most demanding applications.
Tapes offer added functionality that can enhance your product further, such as sealing from contamination and protecting from vibration stresses. Better products mean less product returns and less customer complaints, saving admin and replacement costs.
A summary of benefits are listed below:
- Areas joined with tape are not subject to stress corrosion or cracking
- Stress load is distributed evenly over joints, resisting flex and vibration stresses
- Tapes can withstand extreme environments and won’t corrode or distort, keeping your product looking younger for longer
- Tapes offer additional sealing functionality, reliably protecting the internal parts of your product for a longer life
- Tapes offer a reliable bond for enhanced and consistent quality; fasteners can fail, resulting in rattling and flexing of parts
- Enhanced quality and life span means reduced returns and complaints, saving you money and maintaining a quality reputation
- Easy disassembly of parts, if necessary
Enhanced manufacturing efficiencies
Using a tape in place of traditional fixings can generate a number of efficiencies in your manufacturing processes by reducing costs and enhancing productivity. They can also provide a quieter and safer working environment where replacing, for example, drilling, screwing and welding equipment.
The benefits to your manufacturing processes include:
- Reduced need for tools and manufacturing equipment
- Reduced rework
- Reduced assembly time – die-cut parts are generally quicker to apply; they fit precisely and easily
- Streamlined operations from eliminating welding, grinding and finishing steps that require more energy, labour and time
- Immediate handling – tapes bond rapidly, unlike many liquid adhesives
- Easy integration into operations, whether applying by hand or using automated equipment